Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Hands of Time Keep Moving

I'm just going to throw it out there...I don't like sports.  I was invited to a Super Bowl party with my husband, but politely declined as I didn't think having a toddler around a bunch of grown men yelling at a TV would be fun for anyone involved.  My husband went with my older son and I was left with said toddler.  I was not broken hearted in the least! We had a lot of fun and made a HUGE mess.  You see, he LOVES to paint.  (Fortunately, the paint we have is washable.  I don't even pre-treat the clothes or anything!!)  So we painted :)  As I'm slowing decorating my office, I realized I needed a clock.  I got one at Walmart for less than $4 with the intention of taking it apart to just use the hands and make a custom collage clock.  Well, that plan quickly changed as I got sappy with my little guy and how big his handprints are getting.  I decided to frame his handprint in the clock.  I was surprised how easy this whole task was.

Supplies:
-Clock (Mine is a Walmart Mainstays $4 clock)
-Philips Screw Driver
-Artwork or picture
-Scissors

Instructions:
Step One:  Take the clock apart.
My clock had 5 screws on the back that separated the front frame from the back.  Just unscrew them and take it apart.  You'll then want to pull the hands off the clock.  They may bend, but that's okay, you can bend them back.

Step Two: Customize your Clock
I took the frame and traced the circle around a handprint so I would know where to cut.  I then put the handprint on the clock and pushed the clock hand holder thingy (yeah, so technical) through the paper.  You can then use the scissors to may a nice smooth opening.  You'll want it fairly big because if it's too snug around the protruding thing, the hands won't move.  The hands will cover up a lot, so don't worry about having the hole too big.

Step Three: Put the Clock Back Together
Snap the hands back into the clock and straighten them out if they got bent.  Test them by turning the time knob on the back of the clock.  If they all move, that's great!  If they don't, either cut more paper around the "thingy", snap in the hands farther, or you put the hands together in the wrong order.
Put the glass and frame back on and screw in the screws and you are done!

No comments:

Post a Comment