Sunday, January 5, 2014

They say a Messy Office a Fertile Ground for Creative Mind?


What a fun and productive weekend!  Since my husband had early over time (am I the only on that thinks that phrase is weird?) I was alone with the boys all weekend.  This let me check off a few things on my Pinterest list!  My husband generally rolls his eyes at ideas that I have culled from Pinterest, so it was nice to have some freedom.
Since I had some crescent dough that I had to use up and it was a super cold day, I thought it would be a perfect day to have crescent roll s'mores.  The boys did a great job of helping me break apart the rock hard marshmellows that I hadn't stored very well from the last bon fire we had.  The end result was a super yummy dessert!  Eating them warm is the very best.  I tried a left over one without nuking it and it had an overpowering taste of butter crescent roll.  I stuck the half eating roll in the microwave and zapped it and it was much better.




Following the baking, came craft time.  My boys love to color and paint.  I made them an art bucket!  
All it is is a 5 gallon bucket and a tool caddy from a store like Lowes, Menards, or Home Depot.  I got mine at Menards.  It has all their art supplies, coloring books and stickers all in one spot! I found the idea on Pinterest. I want to give someone credit, but the link was broken to the site it came from. My closest guess from the broken address and the sites it lead me to is that this lady made it. http://mykotori.blogspot.com 



After the boys went to bed, I was able to tackle some paperwork.  There was a study that said that a "messy office is ground for a creative mind."  Well, I like to think of myself as creative, but a cluttered house is a cluttered mind to me.  After getting my new to me computer for Christmas, I decided I wanted to move my "office" downstairs to the spare room, or as my oldest calls it, Grammie's room.  This would allow me to work on the computer at night and not be in fear of waking up the sleeping monsters as neither the "office" or the boys' room have doors on them.  (We have an old house that has a strange set up.  There really is no way to put a door onto the office as it's more of an alcove, and the boys room...well, we don't feel like spending the money for a custom sized door just yet.  A black out curtain on a shower curtain rod does a fine job for now.)  


Anyway, I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to paper, so this transition gave me a great opportunity to get things straightened out. On Pinterest I found a neat list of what papers to keep and pitch from the University of Illinois.  Wow, that just cleared out a TON of space!  For some reason, I thought you had to keep pay stubs for years.  Well, turns out, after you get your W-2 and all is accurate for taxes, you can get rid of those.  Sweet!  That alone cleared out a file drawer!  I am embarrassed to say that I also kept old utility bills....even to a house that has been bulldozed following a massive flood years ago.  So, needless to say, I much less overwhelmed with my filing cabinets. 

Before
After





By the way, I need to show off my awesome filing cabinet that I made over a while back.  It was a filing cabinet that I got at Goodwill for $5 that was a yucky mustardy color.  I lived with it for a few years, then Pinterest came around and I saw an awesome file cabinet makeover idea.  So, I went to the Dollar Tree and got a roll of contact paper for...you guessed it...$1 and I went to Walmart and got a 97cent can of white spray paint and went to town!  So, this is my $7 filing cabinet/side table and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment