Saturday, January 4, 2014

What's the best way to eat an elephant? One bit at a time!

The elephant that I want to eat is to have my WHOLE house organized.  Yup, I'm going to eat this elephant!  I discovered this gem on Pinterest:

In line with a few other new year's resolutions (I haven't used the stove yet), this challenge hasn't started yet.  They start the first FULL week of January.  I guess that means I have some time to back out before starting.  Then it would be like college, I wouldn't really fail, I just dropped the challenge.

The first week starts simple:  declutter kitchen counter and sink area.  I have got this down about one day every two weeks!  I can make that happen next week, score!

Since that was an easy enough challenge that I don't dare start too early because then I'll have to do it twice, I took a peek at what week two has in store.  It's the kitchen drawers and cabinets.  Hmmm...I have a lot of those. I need get a jump start on that pronto!  So, last night on the first date night my husband and I have had for 6 months, we bought some new food storage containers.

Don't feel too bad, we also had some fun trying out the Photo Booth functions on my new to me computer from Santa.  See?

Okay, so yeah, we may not do what most people would do on a date night, but like my mom reminds me:  I'm not most people!

Anyway, we bought new food containers because ours are about 6 years old and have seen better days.  They are stained and some have chew marks from the dogs because we didn't keep the container far enough away from them when we had our backs turned.  We also needed to straighten out the cabinet.  So, my task for this morning between the times the kids got home and my husband had to leave for work, was to clean out the cabinet.
Here are the before and afters:

Not much different, you say?  Well, the problem really was all the old Cool Whip, sour cream, and cottage cheese containers that I was keeping out of sight as the cabinet has hidden storage.  I decided that while it was a cute idea that I would cook all the time and need extra containers for storage, they were never going to be used and are just taking up space.

I did, however, save all the old stained and chewed up containers and my older son and I had fun sorting out his legos by color.

Ta-da!

Good-bye, Mr. Lego-head-that-I-made-out-of-an-Utz-cheese-ball-jar-as-seen-on-Pinterest.  Your lid broke with-in three days and allows legos to be dumped by a messy toddler two seconds after being filled.

No comments:

Post a Comment